Can my landlord lock me out of my house?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord lock me out of my house?

I was late on my rent so I paid a $25 late fee. now if I don’t pay $70 more I will be locked out. Can he do that?

Asked on August 18, 2011 Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

All states have laws against self help evictions by a landlord concerning a dispute with a tenant. Meaning, a landlord has to follow established law to evict a tenant by serving a notice of eviction or serving a three day notice to pay or quit, and filing and serving a summons and unlawful detainer action.

The landlord could very well lock you out of your house. If he does so, he will have made a huge mistake and acted very foolishly subjecting himself to a lawsuit for wrongful eviction. If you are locked out of the rented unit by your landlord, you need to consult with an attorney right away or at the very least the local landlord tenant clinic in your area assuming you have one.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption