Can my husband try to take my son away if I’m pregnant with another man’s baby?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband try to take my son away if I’m pregnant with another man’s baby?

My husband left me and I’ve been seeing another guy for the past few months. We just found out I’m pregnant, but since I’m still legally married, can my husband try to take my son away from me?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Family Law, North Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your husband can try but ultimately it would be up to a court of law to decide whether the health and welfare of the child result in the child being placed with your husband or with you. Since you are pregnant and still married and the child is not your husband's child, your husband may try to exploit those facts and attack your character and your boyfriend's character in order to obtain full custody of your son. Depending on your son's age, it can happen so you need to make sure you have all of your ducks in a row. If the person you are with now has any skeletons in the closest, better make sure what and how many. You should consult with a divorce attorney who has experience with issues similar to yours so he or she can properly and carefully walk the court landmine of orders and motions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption