If title to a car is in my name butmy husbandwants to getit in ourdivorce when still owe on the loan, what will happen?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If title to a car is in my name butmy husbandwants to getit in ourdivorce when still owe on the loan, what will happen?

My husband and I have been separated for 9 months. We had 2 vehicles: an 11 year old van (given to me as a gift from parents) and a 2 year old car (which is in my name). I allowed him to keep vehicle for work as long as he had been making the payments on time. Now we are getting a divorce and he has not been making on time payments and he is behind. Since TX is a common law state, will I be able to take possession of the car?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Texas uses a "fair and equitable" standard for dividing property and debt.  Many people assume this means fifty-fifty, but it can also mean any other  percentage mixture.  The name of the title of the car is not controlling to how assets will divided.  If you purchased the car while you were married, it will most likely be considered community property.  This means that you do have a chance of getting the car back in the divorce.  A fairness factor in your favor is that he has defaulted on the payments and is thereby affecting your credit rating.  Many courts are not fond of snatch and grab repossession techniques during divorces.  If your divorce is still pending, but close to being resolved, try to get the car awarded to you through an agreed decree or final hearing.  If it's a messier divorce that's going to take a while, file a motion for temporary orders requesting that the car be returned to you so that you can catch up payments.  If you catch up payments before the car is returned, the court may order your husband to reimburse you, but if he's not paying the finance company, he's not likely to pay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption