Can my husband change credit cards and debit cards so that I don’t have access to finances?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband change credit cards and debit cards so that I don’t have access to finances?

I am originally from Canada and married my husband 5 years ago. I have a part-time job here in WA state. I was travelling home after Christmas and was bringing my son’s dog with me. My husband does not like my son, so he didn’t want me to bring the dog back to our home. He had planned to pick me up in Canada but when he found out that I had the dog, he drove back to WA without me, leaving me to find a way home. He also put a hold on my credit card and cancelled my debit card. He is limiting my access to finances that we both have our names on a credit card account. He has changed the password online. I called the issuer and they reinstated my credit card, so I withdrew some cash so that I could survive. He has now advised me that he is changing the credit card and only giving me limited money in a different account. I have helped my son financially in Canada because of the economic downfall. I receive a limited amount of a survivor benefit which helps him survive. My husband’s hatred for him has caused this issue. He told me that I don’t have any legal rights to any of his money. This is a second marriage.

Asked on January 4, 2019 under Family Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you file for divorce, he can do this: the law does not interfere in a couple's internal domestic or financial arrangements until there is court case, principally a divorce case. If it gets to where you do file for divorce, in the course of filing, you can also get a court order requiring him to provide a certain amount of support during the divorce case, pending the final resoluation. If you wish to explore this option, consult with a family law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption