If my girlfriend files for bankruptcy, can the trustee taker her engagement ring?

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my girlfriend files for bankruptcy, can the trustee taker her engagement ring?

My girlfriend has about $50,000 in medical bill debt. She plans to file for bankruptcy. If I propose to her and buy her an engagement ring( costing $6,000) prior to her filing for bankruptcy, would she have to give it up in the bankruptcy process?

Asked on June 6, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You area wise man to think about this prior to purchasing the ring and giving it to her.  This question can be viewed on several levels.  First, let me explain that Colorado does not give you the option of using the Federal Exemptions under the Federal Bankruptcy Code.  You have to use the Colorado exemptions.  Now, under Colorado law the ring would be considered jewelry and jewelry & "articles of adornment" are exempt up to $2,000 (that is a cumulative amount).  Now, if you gave her a ring under 2 grand would it be considered hers before the marriage?  In other words, some of the circumstances that determine if an engagement ring has to be returned in a break up include where you live, how you received the engagement ring, and who broke the engagement and may be relevant here.  Once could argue that the gift is conditional upon marriage - as it is in New York - and so if you break up you have to give it back.  I think that it would be best to give her a "token" ring at this point in time and wait until the rest of the dust settles.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption