Can my ex-husband evict me from the house?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-husband evict me from the house?

My ex-husband and I share a home (which is in his name because he inherited it from his mother). He is threatening to evict me now because he is mad at me. We have continued to live as a married couple with children after the divorce which was final 5 month ago. We just can’t get along with a paper saying we are married.

Asked on July 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The fact is the you are no longer legally married and the house is his separate property. Accordingly,  of which he has the exclusivepossession and control. Therefore if you entered the property and stayed with his permission but that permission has now been revoked, if asked you must leave.

However, under the circumstances you are more than just a mere guest. You will in most states be considered to be a "licensee" (long term occupant). In that case you will need to be given notice to vacate (as outlined under GA law). If you do not vacate by the specified date, then your ex will have to file for a formal eviction in court. Once granted, you will have to leave the house or he can call the sheriffs to remove you, physically if necessary.

Note: He can take no self-help measures to get you to vacate. This includes changing the locks, removing your personal belongings, etc. If he does you may have a claim against him for wrongful eviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption