Can my employer audio record our office (while she works offsite most days) without my knowledge or consent?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer audio record our office (while she works offsite most days) without my knowledge or consent?

I am noticing that she leaves behind an audio recorder on her desk, pointed in my direction. She is independent. It’s only her and myself so no HR department I can ask.

Asked on August 12, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, this is illegal. In no state can person A record person B's conversation(s) without B's consent if A is not a participant in those conversations; therefore, your boss cannot record you when she is not in the office, and to do so is a criminal act (it is a violation of the same laws as prohibit wiretapping). That said, she could require you to allow the recording as a condition of employment, and terminate you if you do not consent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption