Can my boss underpay me if I quit?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my boss underpay me if I quit?

I quit my job 1 week ago. I walked out. I was making 9 an hour, and I have
previous statements proving that. I just picked my paycheck up today and my rate
of pay is now 7.25. So I called the boss and in a normal, calm tone asked about
the difference. I have the right to know. His reply was simply ‘fuck you, my
name.’. Is this legal at all? Should I consult a lawyer in my area? Doesn’t he
have to inform me of the change and give me a valid reason why?

Asked on August 11, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A wage reduction cannot be made retroactively. In other words, a pay rate cannot be changed after the fact. Therefore, you are owed the difference between what you should have been paid versus what you were actually paid. What you can do now is to file a wage claim with your state's department of labor or sue your former employer in small claims court. You can consult with an attorney but it may not be worth it, depending on just how much you are owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption