Can a landlord add moneyto my new judgementand demand payment?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord add moneyto my new judgementand demand payment?

Recent eviction after 90 days with a judgement for $1666. Apartment was left immaculate and requested my $500 security deposit to come off my judgement. Instead got a bill that they added $908 to amount owed. Now exceeding over $2000 and demand payment. Is this legal?

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This might be legal. You don't provide a lot of detail, but if you were evicted before the term of your lease is over, then you would still owe for all the remaining months. This could cause the amount you owe to increase. (Technically, the judgment itself does not increase--the judgment is what it is--but the landlord could bring another action for the additional monies owed accruing.) Also, it's possible that certain legal fees and costs, like lawyer fees, are beinig added to the judgment. Or, while it should have been annotated, perhaps the increase is for damage done to the apartment.

The above is not to say that it necessarily is correct or legal--just that there are circumstances under which you could possibly owe more than you thought. You should first request an explanation of the additional amount; then, if you are not satisfied by it and/or want to fight it, consult with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption