What are my rights if I feel that my privacy was violated all because a supervisor employees discussed my overtime with my co-workers?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I feel that my privacy was violated all because a supervisor employees discussed my overtime with my co-workers?

I was told by a third party that overheard the entire conversation. The supervisor also stated to the employees that I worked the hours but did not work at all. This person has assess to my information because she is in charge of operations at a retail store. I was wondering if I have a case or not?

Asked on December 31, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that you have no right to privacy in this situation. If this was a HIPPA violation (i.e. disclosure of your medical condition, etc.), then that would be different; you would have a claim. The fact is that while unprofessional, this disclosure did not violate any privacy law.
That having been said, you may have a claim for defamation. Your supervisor made disparaging comments regarding the fact that while you were there for the hours you really didn't work much during that time. If that was untrue, then you may have been slandered. There are, however, several conditions that must be met. While it appears that most have been met, one of them is that this comment must have caused you an injury (e.g. damage to your reputation, etc.). However, it's not clear that this condition has been met from what you have written. At this point, you can consult with a personal injury attorney. They can more fully inform you of your potential rights/remedies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption