Can I take mypregnant 16year old girlfriend to a different state in order to get married legally?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take mypregnant 16year old girlfriend to a different state in order to get married legally?

I am 17 and we both love each other so very much and we will do literally anything to be together. Her parents won’t consent to us getting married but mine will. I can’t describe in words how much I love her, and we will do whatever it takes as long as it’s legal. Want to go from IL -to GA.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I know that this is a very stressful time for both of you but I really urge you not to take her over state lines with out herparent's consent.  It is great that your parents are supportive of your decision.  But they can not give consent for someone that they are not legally responsible for - your girlfriend.  And she is still a minor and under the control of her parents.  You could be hauled in for kidnapping even if you argue she went willingly.  They can sue you, not necessarily her. And from what I am reading about Georgia's requirements, it may not be greener grass there, as one would say.  You still may need parental consent to obtain a marriage license. So running off there may not help you anyway.  Antoher avenue that may help your situation is if your girlfriend declares herself emancipated.  She would need to file a Petition for Emancipation.  That I would consult a lawyer for and maybe your parents can help there too.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption