Can I take legal actions regarding an unauthorized credit check?

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take legal actions regarding an unauthorized credit check?

Myself and a roommate signed a 12-month apartment lease together 10 months ago. Then last month, she wanted to get out of the lease early, so she went to the leasing office to see about having her name taken off lease. This all unknown to me. The leasing office ran a credit check on myself without my permission and told her the only way to have me alone on the lease would be to have someone co-sign since I did not qualify for the required financial stipulations. Can I take legal actions on this unauthorized credit check?

Asked on June 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, under the laws of all states in this country, anyone can run a background check as well as a credit check on another person with or without his or her permission. You can take legal action concerning the unauthorized credit check as to yourself. However, you are not going to establish liability let alone damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption