Can I sue my employer for ignoring unsafe work environment?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my employer for ignoring unsafe work environment?

I work for a distribution warehouse and they are ignoring our safety in the name of profit. Each year they rush us more and more but this year is even worse because they made error in the budget and are cutting cost every way they can. They have a “do what we say or we will find someone that will” attitude towards us. There are multiple serious hazards and it is just in our one department from what I can tell .I want to work in a safe place but I know I will lose my job If I bring it up again because they see me as the problem for speaking about it. Their answer is always “we are looking in to it”.

Asked on August 22, 2011 Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have every right as an employee to be worried about your safety and under the law you have every right to report any violations in safety with out fear of retribution.  The laws that will protect you are known as "whistle blower" laws.  These are laws that protect you from discrimination for  exercising safety and health rights.  These rights are enforced in georgia by USDOL (US Department of Labor) Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).   I think that you have waited long enough and have been stalled by your employer.  I do not think that it will get any better and you should report the violations.  I am going to give you the links necessary to take the first step.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption