Can I sue a pharmacy for HIPPA violation privacy act

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a pharmacy for HIPPA violation privacy act

A employee of the pharmacy I use that delivers my medication held on to my medication for two days in his private possession when I inquired about why I hadn’t received my medication another employee there stated that the employee who had been holding my medication lived in my building I told them that’s a HIPPA violation they fired the

employee the next business day but now my medical information is out.

Asked on August 9, 2018 under Malpractice Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't sue the pharmacy. The employee violated both pharmacy policy (i.e. his employer's instructions) and the law in holding onto your medicine in his private possession. An employer is not responsible for the criminal acts of its employees or things they do in contravention of employer policies and instructions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption