Can I sue hospital for telling me for days my husband was never admitted but he was we thought he was dead somewhere

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue hospital for telling me for days my husband was never admitted but he was we thought he was dead somewhere

My husband was in an accident and ambulance took him to

hospital. When I called I was told he was not there for four days until my husband was able to call me and he had been

there and underwent surgery. They told numerous people he

was not in system. Hid children thought that he was dead.

Asked on August 10, 2018 under Malpractice Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, there is most likely no viable lawsuit here, because the law does not provide compensation for the mental stress, etc. you or his children suffered in a case like this unless you can show that the hospital deliberately hid or withheld the information from you, which is not likely. If, as much more likely, with was an oversight or error, there is no compensation to which you'd be entitled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption