Can I sue a company for using my images?

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a company for using my images?

My sister opened a business over a year ago using much of my help. I was promised payment for labor and my skills. I created websites for her and did manual labor all without being paid, which she then decided she didn’t want to use my websites. I also created many images for her business which she had used and the company is still using today. I was never compensated for my hard work. I still have some files and can prove the images are mine. I don’t have anything in writing about payment as it was a verbal agreement. What should I do?

Asked on March 4, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with an attorney--you may be able to sue your sister and/or her business if you want.

1) Breach of contract--a contract does not always need to be written to be enforceable. If there was an agreement that you would be paid for doing the work, and you did the work, it may be that your sister needs to pay you.

2) Unjust enrichment--the law prohibits one person from "enriching" herself unjustly at the expense of another, such as by taking and benefitting from another's labor without compensation (unless, that is, the person had volunteered or gifted his/her services). Therefore, if your sister has used your images without compensation, that may be unjust enrichment.

3) Breach of copyright. If you were never paid for the images, you are likely the copyright owner; therefore, your sister may not use them without your permission, and may be forced to pay compensation for their unauthorized use.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption