Can I legally record a my conversation with a supervisor without him knowing?

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I legally record a my conversation with a supervisor without him knowing?

I am having problems with 2 of my supervisors at work and I want to confront them about it. However I am worried about retaliation from them and it being a he said/she said issue. Can I record the conversation with out them knowing it?

Asked on October 30, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Federal and most state laws, including MO, follow the "1 party consent" rule.  This rule allows for the taping of a telephone call or in-person conversation as long as at least 1 party to the call/conversation is aware that the conversation is being recorded. So recording such a conversation is not illegal.  However, since MO is an "at will" employment stater , this means that your employer can fire you for any reason or no reason at all.  You didn't provide much by way of details but unless your situation would fall under some form of workplace discrimination  resulting in wrongful discharge, retaliation per se is not protected.  So you may just want to reconsider such a move. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption