Can my employer force me to sign my last paycheck before paying it to me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer force me to sign my last paycheck before paying it to me?

I worked at my college for several months, and I quit without notice.

I gave them an address to send my last paycheck to and they still haven’t paid
it out. It was been about 3 weeks.

My employer has emailed and called me asking me to sign my final timesheet,
however I am too busy to get this done. I also really don’t want to have to
talk to them

Is my employer allowed to hold my last paycheck hostage until I sign my

Info Worked at a CSUF college as a student worker.

Asked on February 5, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can. The timesheet is needed to verify the time you worked and show that you are entitled to the money. They may hold the check until you do this. Because it is under your control to do this and it is both reasonable and lawful (see above) and straightforward for you to do so, they are not illegally holding your check: rather, *you* are causing the delay by not complying with a straightforward paperwork requirement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption