Can I get terminated for no proof of an accused action?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get terminated for no proof of an accused action?

I have been having getting harassed by my supervisor every since I complained to corrupt officials about his threats to reprimand me for just about anything. I have been operating my machine for 7 months, my supervisor said they was informed that I was damaging materials we went to human resource and they tried to get myself to sign an misconduct incident, I asked to see the damaged material they say only way I could see it was to sign the misconduct write-up. I refused to sign an 2 hours later I was terminated.

Asked on November 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless your discharge violated the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, it was legal. The fact is that most work is "at will" which means that a company cnan set the conditons of the workplace much as is sees fit. This includes who to fire, when, and what for. Accordingly, unless this action in some way constituted a form of legally actionable discrimination, it was perfectly permissable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption