Is there anything that I can do if I’m being treated unfairly in the workplace?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything that I can do if I’m being treated unfairly in the workplace?

I am currently working in a pizza place. I had a situation where a crew member, a girl, confronted me and told me that an assistant manager asked her if she was a virgin. I went to the higher-ups and told him the situation. The next day, I received a write-up for leaving my job and him for his language. I left my job because I didn’t feel comfortable staying to work while he was there. I didn’t think I would get a write-up.

Asked on November 9, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you left your workplace, they were legally entitled to write you up: the law does not let you leave your workplace or post because another employee, even an assistant manager, made you feel "uncomfortable." The higher-up apparently acted appropriately in this case: he disciplined the assistant manager for what he said, and you for leaving the workplace. Based on what you write, you were not treated unfairly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption