Can I get a poorly printed ticket dismissed in court in NJ?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a poorly printed ticket dismissed in court in NJ?

I got pulled over and received a moving violation. The ticket was a fully
printed one but there is about an inch strip from the top to the bottom that
the printer failed to print. Several pieces of information was missing on the
ticket as a result.

Is there any way I can argue that this is an invalid ticket because it was not
fully printed and therefore get it dismissed?

Asked on October 18, 2016 under General Practice, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can try this argument, but:
1) If the key information (time, date, location, your identity, the offenses) is all there, it doesn't matter if unimportant information is missing).
2) Even if key information is missing, it is very likely the court, prosecutor, or police will give you a clean copy and schedule a new date, rathwr than dismiss over an easily fixable issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption