Can I get a judgement reversed because of illegal collection practices?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a judgement reversed because of illegal collection practices?

A individual with a judgement against me contacted me and made a range of illegal threats. Is this enough to get the judgement reversed? I never had the opportunity to contest the judgement in court when it was entered, so I’d really like to get that chance. Brief history, this individual is someone who I had a restraining order against, and got the judgement so he could continue his harassment legally.

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you can get the judgment that was entered against you depends upon the facts that led to it being entered against you, how long the judgment has been entered and if any fraud led to its entry against you.

You have not set forth in detail the events as to how the judgment you are writing about was entered against you. I suggest that from what you have written you should immediately consult with an attorney experienced in the area of debt collection and its defense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption