If my university makes a mistake and gives me a larger refund due to their accounting error, can they sue me for it?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my university makes a mistake and gives me a larger refund due to their accounting error, can they sue me for it?

My university has made a mistake on my bill for next semester, and blatantly has an $1800 credit on my account (which I am 100% sure should not be there). If they transfer the money to me, then realize the mistake afterwards, can they come after me for it? This is a state school with (I assume) a very nice team of lawyers.

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that your university gave you a larger refund due you concerning an accounting error, I suggest that you contact the accounting department to have some questions answered with respect to why you believe that there is an accounting error before you even cash the refund check.

To answer your question, if it turns out that your school made an error in the refund that you received, it can very well request reimbursement of it from you and if you refuse, can bring legal action against you for the amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption