Can I get a driver’s license or hardship permit in Ohio if my license is suspended in Arizona?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a driver’s license or hardship permit in Ohio if my license is suspended in Arizona?

I received a 12 month suspension from ADOT in AZ after refusing a blood test during a DUI stop. The DUI charges were dropped, but I still have the suspension for the refusal.

I have since moved to Ohio and am trying to obtain a driver’s license or hardship permit.

Asked on October 21, 2019 under General Practice, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't. Every state has entered into an agreement (a "compact") to honor each other's state's rules regarding driving infractions and loss or suspension of license. No other state will help you get around AZ's suspension of your license. You have to address it in AZ, and get AZ to lift the suspension, or else wait it out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption