If a police officer was not witness to the accident I was in, can his testimony and accident report be inadmissible?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a police officer was not witness to the accident I was in, can his testimony and accident report be inadmissible?

If so, how do I go about having the judge not allow it?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Accident Law, New Jersey


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generally, police officer testimony and accident reports are considered admissable forms of evidence.  The police officer is not testifying as a witness to the accident.  He or she will be testifying in regard to his or her investigation of the accident scene, interviews with witnesses and the parties involved and any citations issued.  The accident report reflects this information.  As such, this is relevant and admissable evidence. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption