Can I force my husband to have to take me back so I have a place to live?

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I force my husband to have to take me back so I have a place to live?

My husband was abusive. Social services sent the police to remove me from my home. I only wanted to get them to force him to fix the horrible problems with the house like the whole back end of it full of mold, etc. But they wanted me to leave and asked if I’d want to go back to him. I was scared my husband would hurt me so I said no. Now ‘m stuck here at my son in laws house for the last 5 months waiting to get on housing, and just lost my disability benefits. Can I make my husband take me back?

Asked on March 11, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Here is the problem. If your husband is abusive, you do not want to go back...that is not the solution to your problems and legally by doing so you would be compromising everything and any standing you have or had to get out of the marriage and walk away with some money. Stay where you are and see if you can have legal aid help you get this matter straightened out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption