Can I fight an unemployment denial?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I fight an unemployment denial?

I received a phone from my store manager stating that she will have to let me go due to them not growing, they can’t justify labor and that it was slow, and all these other reasons. I applied for unemployment and was denied because they were told that the reason for separation was poor work performance. That was not mentioned in our phone conversation nor did I receive a written or verbal warning from the employer. What can I do?

Asked on July 14, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You can appeal a denial of unemployment compensation.  The documents you received denying unemployment compensation should have included instructions on the procedure for filing an appeal.  If instructions on filing an appeal were not included, contact the department office that sent you the denial and request the instructions and forms regarding the procedure for filing an appeal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption