Can I deduct the cost of the stolen items from my roommates half of the security deposit?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I deduct the cost of the stolen items from my roommates half of the security deposit?

My roommate moved out today. However, I am staying in the apartment. On her way out, she stole about $100 worth of my personal belongings. The security deposit of $800 that we went halves on must stay with the apartment, so it is my “obligation” to buy out her part of the security deposit. Should I give her the $400? Or can I deduct the $100 from her part of the deposit?

Asked on February 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You cannot unilaterally deduct money from your roommate--if you do, *you* will have committed a form of theft. If  you believe your roommate stole from you, there are two things you can do: first, you can sue her for the return of the belongings; second, you can report her to the police. (You can do both; it's not either/or.) You might also discuss with her that the she seems to have taken some things that you believe are actually yours and you expect them back--you can let her know that if she does not return them (in which case you can assume it was just a mistake), you'll have to take legal action. But again, the one thing you can't do is simply take money that would belong to her; two wrongs do not make a right.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption