Can I claim my father’s unclaimmed funds from the state even though my mother his wife is still living?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I claim my father’s unclaimmed funds from the state even though my mother his wife is still living?

I just found 5 accounts listed for my dad on the website I would like to claim these, but I don’t want my mother to know as she has a bad gambling addiction. Can I claim them without notifying her? As a side note, she still owes me around 50k that he left me in his will that the state has ordered her to pay me. Does that affect the situation? The states involved are Arizona and New York.

Asked on November 13, 2017 under Estate Planning, Mississippi


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You won't be able to claim your father's unclaimed funds because you will need to complete a proof of heirship form on which you will have to list your mother, who will inherit those funds.
Although you can raise the issue of the 50K that your mother was ordered to pay you, that is a separate issue which won't affect the inheritance of the unclaimed funds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption