owner of property died with no heirs or wills

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

owner of property died with no heirs or wills

owner of property dies with no heirs or will, what happens to the
property and how could i go about obtaining ownership of property? the
property does have one tax lein from the water dept. and the property
taxes are behind a few years. what can be done and the steps to take?

Asked on November 14, 2017 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Generally a Public Administrator has to be appointed in these type of cases and the Estate passes to the State of Florida if there are no heirs.  It is called "escheats" to the State. The properties are then sold and the funds are depositied in to the State School Fund. There is a 10 year Statute of Limitations for an heir to make a claim of entitlement.  If you want this property I suggest you seek out the help of a savvy estate attorney to help you. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption