Can I change my first name along with returning to my maiden name as a part of the divorce paperwork?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I change my first name along with returning to my maiden name as a part of the divorce paperwork?

I am going through an uncontested divorce but have a name change question. I know that I can return to my maiden name in the divorce petition, but I would like to change my first name as well. Can I put a new first name in the paperwork, or is that something I will have to do separately? I feel like I am starting a new life and would like a new name to go along with it.

Asked on September 3, 2018 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, divorce laws allow you to change back to your maiden (legal) name after the divorce is final, if you changed it in the first place from your maiden name.  Some people do not. It is not the type of situation, however, that permits changing your first name too.  I would suggest that once you are divorced you then apply for a first name change.  Otherwise, much confusion will ensue. Good luck in your new life. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption