Can I call the police and press charges if my phone was stolen and I know who did it?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I call the police and press charges if my phone was stolen and I know who did it?

This woman has a key to my home and she came in and tried to hit me first so I went into my room. When I opened the door to my room I seen her pull my

phone off the charger because my phone was charging by my front door at the time and then she proceeded to walk out my front door with my phone. So can I call police and press charges? If so, what information do I need one have for


Asked on September 12, 2018 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can absolutely contact the police and press charges when someone steals from you. You need to have information about the event (what happened, where, and when); a description of the stolen item (your phone); and whatever information you have about the theif (name if you have it; her address and/or contact information if you have it; a description of her). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption