Can I be charged for my roommate’s delinquent utility bill from 7 years ago?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be charged for my roommate’s delinquent utility bill from 7 years ago?

I moved in to a house with my roommate and got the utility bills in my name. The gas company called me a little while later to tell me that because my roommate was living in the house with me the past due bill from her previous residence would have to be paid or they would shut my gas off and they did.

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes you can be charged for a delinquent utility bill of your roommate that is seven (7) years old. Whether you are obligated to pay for it is an entirely different matter.

The house that you shared with your roommmate had the utility bills in your name so technically the bill that you are writing about would be your responsibility. However, there is a thing called the "statute of limitaions" which is a time period where a person who claims an obligation owed has to file a lawsuit within a certain amount of time.

If not lawsuit has been filed against you for this utility bill, it would seem that under the laws of your state a seven (7) year old bill would be barred under your state's statute of limitations from being able to be collected upon.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption