If I am now in Egypt how can I geta divorce?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am now in Egypt how can I geta divorce?

I am an Egyptian woman married to an Egyptian physician working in the US. I gave birth to our baby in CT 2 years ago. Last year my baby and I came to Egypt for a visit; we were to be back in the US 2 months later. However my husband told me not to come back. Later he said that I should come back but I don’t trust him. I am afraid of him. My last days with him he fought with me over everything. I feel psychological abuse and neglect. Do I have to be in the US to file for divorce? Also, I haven’t enough money now, so can I pay after the divorce?

Asked on June 8, 2011 under Family Law, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  I am very worried for you.  I hope that you have some documentation about your husband telling you to stay in Egypt because if not it could be considered kidnapping here in the United States.  As for filing for divorce, you have to be a resident of the state in which you want to file for a certain period of time and live there as well before you can file.  In most states it is 6 months but that can vary.  I would strongly suggest that since it appears that you and your husband are Egyptian citizens that you speak with an attorney in Egypt about obtaining a divorce there.  That divorce - if properly done - would be given full faith and credit in the US.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption