Can an undocumented high school student qualify for in-state-tuition?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an undocumented high school student qualify for in-state-tuition?

That student is 18 years old. She files asylum with her family together. When she

came to the U.S she was 16. She and her family are waiting for their interview.

She will not receive financial aid or any federal assistance based on her

undocumented condition. If she wants to continue her education, she needs to pay

for her classes but, unfortunately, her family economic situation is not good.

Asked on September 18, 2016 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Every state will be different in terms of what they require in order to be eligible for in state tuition.  She would need to speak with the foreign student advisor's office at her particular school to understand whether she qualifies for that or what is required in order to qualify.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption