Can an employer hold a check?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer hold a check?

My boyfriend is in jail but signed a notarized
paper giving me financial responsibilities. His
employer is holding his check saying he owed
him money but his employer doesnt have
record of how much he owes or what for. What
steps do I need to take to get his employer to
release his check for the amount he has

Asked on November 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A "notarized paper giving [you] financial responsibilities" does not actually give you any legal rights or authority, unless it was not just notarized but also was signed in the presence of at least one witness who was not the notary (or relative of, employee, partner or associate of, the notary) and who also signed the document: without that additional witness, the paper fails to qualify as a power of attorney and so does not convey any power.
Even if it was witnessed and signed properly, you are not (we presume) an attorney, and so you cannot directly represent your boyfriend in court; only lawyers can represent other people in court. (A power of attorney can give you the power to *hire* the lawyer, but you'd still need the attorney for court.) Unfortunately, if they won't voluntarily pay, the only way to force them to pay is by suing; only a successful lawsuit forces someone to pay one when they don't want to. Since you'd need a lawyer, even in small claims court, assume you will (broadly speaking) have to pay $500 - $1,000 in your state for the case; it may not be economically worthwhile to take legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption