Can I be held to a 4 week notice requirement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be held to a 4 week notice requirement?

I am working for a company that I’m considering leaving. When I started working for them in February, I signed an offer letter that stated employees would give a 4 week notice. However, when I started with the company it was a work from home job. They have now leased office space that I’m required to drive to everyday which takes over an hour one way. Can they hold me to the 4 week notice since the job location changed?

Asked on July 16, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In most cases, offer letters are not absolute employment contracts until the employee appears for work for the first day of work. After that, depending on its exact terms, an offer letter can be considered as a contract. Therefore, if you signed the offer then it may constitute a legally binding contract. If so, you can be held to its terms. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption