Can a roommate force me to keep my emotional support animal in my room?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a roommate force me to keep my emotional support animal in my room?

I have a troubled roommate who insists that I keep my dog in my room. The dog is not harmful to others and has been a really good relief for me from anxiety due to my house being broken into multiple times, both while I was away and while I was asleep. I have a letter of reccomendation from my doctor and my landlord approved me to have her. I had problems with fleas but I went through all of the necessary measure to treat the dog and the apartment. What rights do I have to litigate this situation, considering now he is threatening to leave the door open for my dog to walk out?

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you respect your roommate's wishes about the dog you have if it was not around when you and the roommate first began sharing the unit together. It would be improper for the roommate to allow your dog to walk out of the rental by leaving the door open on purpose.

I suggest that you and the roommate sit down and try and resolve the issue. Another option would be for you to purchase a cage for the dog to stay in when it is not in your room.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption