Can a pawn shop file charges if they forgot to actually take the money and let a person leave?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a pawn shop file charges if they forgot to actually take the money and let a person leave?

Went to pick up a TV that was in pawn
there. New Link Destination
ok my ID, seen 218 was owed.
Didn’t exchange any money, was seen on
camera putting the money back in pocket.
Cashier printed a receipt for 218
which I have since lost then wrote
‘218 paid’ on the pawn ticket which I
then signed, he gave me the TV, I then
left. Only to wake up with a letter on
my door explaining they are pressing
charged unless I come up with the money
in a week. I counted my lucky stars and
put the money to good use on bills n
such. So the money’s been spent.. They
don’t have any legal standing do they?

Asked on March 24, 2018 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, they do have legal standing if you don't now pay. Walking out by accident with the money is not a crime--you did not have criminal intent. But now you KNOW (since you were told) that you have their money (and they can prove you did not pay, since you were on camera pocketing the cash). Taking another person's property or money when you know what you are doing is theft. You can no longer therefore argue it was a mistake or oversight, since you have been put on notice it is their money. Therefore, if you don't pay it now,, you have committed a crime--you stole their TV by taking it without paying.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption