Can a 17 year-old father move out of state without his parent’s permission?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a 17 year-old father move out of state without his parent’s permission?

His father and mother are on drugs; his mom is a bartender and his dad doesn’t work. They don’t have water working at their house. No food in the house. Fleas everywhere! inside and outside of the house. His father abuses him and his sister and sometimes their mother. Their house is dirty and never cleaned. Mold is growing in their bathrooms and the whole place stinks. Dishes are piled up and dirty cloths are everywhere.

Asked on August 19, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you write 17 year old Father do you mean that the 17 year old has a child?  Having a child does not necessarily make you emancipated under the law in your state.  So you are still a minor and still under your parents control.  But the conditions in your house sound horrendous and you and your sister should absolutely not be there any longer.  If there is another adult that you can trust to askfor help for you and your sister then you need to do so a soon as possible.  Please do not consider leaving without making sure that your sister gets out too.  If you call child protective services you will be placed on foster care so please try and find someone - friend or relative - to help.  Good luck to you both.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption