Can a 17 year old ask for adult probation?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a 17 year old ask for adult probation?

About 15 months ago, I caught an assault charge and I went to detention for a long time then they put me on monitor. I cutoff my monitor and I was on the run for 10 months but I turned myself into detention and went home on monitor again. However, this time I am not on juvenile probation. My probation expired so I go to court today to see what will happen. My PO is recommending juvenile probation but I do not want to do it because I don’t want to live with my grandmother. The thing is I’ve never had major run-ins with the law just previous assaults from 3 years ago. Will I get probation or can I ask for adult probation?

Asked on August 22, 2018 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Do you mean that you are being charged as a juvenille and not as an adult?  Why would you want to be charged as an adult?  If you are charged as a juvenille then your record is sealed when you turn 18 and you can start anew.  If you are charged as an adult the rest of your life could be a paperwork nightmare as well as a nightmare in moving forward.  Look, start looking forward in your life.  You say that these are old charges and you seem to want to make things better since you voluntarily turned yourself in.  So take the gift the PO is giving you here and finish your probation under the terms and start your life anew.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption