can a 15 yo and a 13 yo drive on private property?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can a 15 yo and a 13 yo drive on private property?

Can the 15 and 13 yo drive on private property with 10 yo passengers – in front and in back? there was no adult in the car, nor was the car within sight of any adult. is this considered to be reckless endangerment of a minor child? this occured in NJ

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Family Law, New York


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

A driver must be a minimum of 17 (with certain restrictions) or 18 (without restrictions) in New Jersey.  If an adult was aware that minors were driving a vehicle, then, yes, the adult would be held legally responsible for any injuries or damages caused by the driver, and could possibly be held for reckless endangerment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption