In an Indiana divorce, can the Settlement Agreement and Decree of dissolution of Marriage be notarized in Mexico by an official notary?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In an Indiana divorce, can the Settlement Agreement and Decree of dissolution of Marriage be notarized in Mexico by an official notary?

In Indiana, if a resident were to file for an uncontested, no-fault, no children or property divorce from a spouse who currently resides in Mexico, it appears that there are a number of forms that will need to be completed. My question is about the SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT AND DECREE OF DISSOLUTION OF MARRIAGE which must be signed by both parties, each witnessed by a notary. The space for the notary’s information asks for the Indiana county info where the notary practices. Will the courts accept a document notarized in Mexico for the spouse who resides in Mexico and cannot return to the U.S now

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Family Law, Indiana


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should call the clerk of the divorce court that is going to be handling the case, what Mexican officials' notarizating will be accepted.  I doubt it's a first-time question, but at the worst, you should have an answer in a few days.  You can do this by telephone, although sending a letter to get one back will make sure there are no misunderstandings.

The worst case would be for the spouse in Mexico to go to the U.S. Embassy or a consular office, and there would be someone there who could provide a U.S.-legal notarization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption