Can 2 convicted felons marry and live together?

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can 2 convicted felons marry and live together?

My son is coming out of prison soon. He wants to marry his ex-girlfriend, however, she also has been convicted of felonies and been on parole (she’d off now). I thought that 2 felons cannot reside together. Also, he has a kidnapping charge on a minor. She has a daughter and he is not allowed to have any visits from minors in prison. When he gets out of prison, will a condition of his parole be not to be around kids?

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There are no laws that prevent two convicted felons from getting married, although parole or probation conditions will normally prohibit the person from being involved with current criminal activity or criminals. It is difficult to guess exactly what his parole conditions will be, but typically offenses that involve minor children will usually involve restrictions on the parolee's access and contact with minor children while that person is on parole.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption