Calling back a detective

UPDATED: May 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Calling back a detective

I got a message today from detective in CO, where I used to live. He wants me to call him back when I get a chance. If I suspect it’s about something I might have done, should I retain a lawyer before returning the call? Or even avoid speaking to a detective altogether until he takes more dramatic action? Now that he left a message, I recognize his phone number; he’s been calling me once a week for 3-4 weeks. Today he called three times. What should I do?

Asked on May 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Don't speak with him until you've spoken with an attorney.  For one thing he might be trying verify where you live.  While you haven't stated what you did I assume it wasn't too good since you feel that you should possibly retain  a lawyer.  Don't wait for things to escalate.  Take care of this ASAP.  These matters don't just go away by themselves.

If your gut tells you not to speak with him don't.  But do take care of this.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption