IfI broke the glass top stove in my rental, now what?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI broke the glass top stove in my rental, now what?

I am renting a house with other roommates by campus. I accidentally dropped a can onto a glass top stove and cracked it. I know I am responsible for paying for it but am I responsible for a replacement or value of the stove that I broke? Because he would get a new stove, which is better than the original (7-8 years old). So I shouldn’t need to pay for the full price of a new stove right? Or do I?

Asked on January 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You would be responsible for damages but you are correct. While your landlord would attempt to charge you the full price (replacement), you would need to show the landlord that he is actually only entitled to replacement value of the stove when it broke, reduced by the use and age of the stovetop. This is called depreciation. So you need to make sure you get this across to the landlord or at least involve your state's consumer protection agency that handles landlord tenant matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption