Birth request not ingored.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Birth request not ingored.

I just had a baby Friday and the hospital did not follow the things we wanted done. Is there anything we can do? They didn’t save the placenta like we asked nor did they wait to cut cord like we asked. They put the placenta in formaldehyde and now she can’t use it for her post pardom. Again, is there anything that can be done? This has cause emotional stress to my girlfriend.

Asked on September 26, 2016 under Malpractice Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no lawsuit or economic recovery for the emotional stress your girlfriend suffered: the law simply doesn't provide compensation for this, so since you did not suffer economic losses or physical injury, you can't sue. You could file a complaint with the hospital board or the state agency overseeing hospitals, which may get you some satisfaction, but that's all you can do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption