UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My ex refuses to pay the bills ordered
by our divorce decree and I can not find
the papers I need to file anywhere. I
can not before an attorney.where can I
find the papers?

Asked on September 24, 2017 under Family Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to pursue contempt of court against your ex. You will need to file an Order to Show Cause to schedule a hearing. Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing. With the Order to Show Cause, file your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of contempt of court. File any additional supporting documents  and a proof of service. If you are missing any documents, obtain copies from your court  file.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if any other documents are required for contempt of court because the required documents may vary from state to state.
Mail a copy of your filed documents to your ex with a proof of service which verifies the date of mailing to provide your ex with notice of the hearing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption