If my mom’s boyfriend bought her a car as a gift and her name is on the insurance, can he report it stolen?

UPDATED: May 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mom’s boyfriend bought her a car as a gift and her name is on the insurance, can he report it stolen?

They recently broke up and she has no other car.

Asked on May 19, 2012 under Criminal Law, Alabama


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The main determinant will depend on whose name is on the cars registration and title. The items typically dictate "ownership" of the car. In Michigan, a person can be charged with a felony unlawfully driving away of a motor vehicle if they take a car without the "owners" permission. So yes, if the boyfriend meets these criteria, he can report the car as being stolen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption