Being Harassed and Secretly Recorded

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Being Harassed and Secretly Recorded

My brother and I share an apartment. We are both adults. He has no real friends and behaves oddly. Many times he yells at me and threatens me not to have any one over as company. He harasses me daily and claims that he is

Asked on November 14, 2016 under Personal Injury, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You could sue your brother for intentional infliction of emotional distress which is an extreme and  outrageous act intended to cause and which does cause you emotional distress.
You should also consider another cause of action (claim) in your lawsuit for invasion of privacy which is the intentional interference with your right to be left alone.  Invasion of privacy is an intrusion upon your solitude.
Your brother would need your consent to record your telephone calls.
Damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would include compensation for emotional distress under both intentional infliction of emotional distress and invasion of privacy.  You should also seek punitive damages under both causes of action (claims).  Punitive damages are a substantial amount to punish your brother's intentional wrongful acts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption